Thread: Sponsor
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Did they really let you down? We're you really part if the group? I'm asking cuz there are three parts to the AA solution. I've believe to call myself a real member i need to be part o all three: recovery, unity and service. Recovery is - am i actively applying all the princilpes of all the steps to my life? Unity is - am i acive in the fellowship? And service is - am i active in helping others? If I'm not active in those three areas, I'm letting myself down and my group down.....and I'd have to really consider if I'm a real member.....or am I just a fan in the stands....watching? And if I'm not really part if the group because I'm not really part of the program, it's not on the other members to force me in and hold me there....or to drag me back in.

Bill W referred to Ebby as his sponsor - even tho Bill stayed sober and Ebby didnt. What I'm getting at is she's your sponsor if the two of you agree she is. So, you're going to need to talk to her.

Like Music wrote - I don't force my sponsees to work the program or even to stay in it. It's their life and it's their call. If they want to be "in" and want my help. - I'm there. If they don't want to work it and they want out - I let them go. They're adults and they're responsible for themselves. It's hard to let someone go especially when I think they really NEED the program....but I can't run their life for them no matter how right I think I am.