View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Only you can decide. Have you tried abstinence? I know you said you are afraid of the withdrawal but if you honestly do not drink that much then why would you consider this an issue?

Nobody, not even a doctor, can tell you whether or not you are going to have withdrawal symptoms until you stop all together.

"In the U.S., less than 50% to 60% of alcoholics will develop any significant withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of alcohol intake, and of these, only 5% of cases of acute ethanol withdrawal progress to DT."

I mean if we all try hard enough we can come up with a multitude of reasons not to try abstinence. If you try and you can't then that may tell you something.

I am an alcoholic. For me it was progressive over the last 26 years. At first it was very fast. I had blackouts after only a year but I had several interruptions in my life that caused me to stop for short periods of time. When I drank I thought I used it to relax or to have a good time. I can't count the times I was under stress and my first thought was "I need a drink"

As the years passed and there was no longer any interruptions I continued to drink more often and more of it. At the end, what would have lasted me a week many years ago would not even last me a day.

I cannot control it. Once I have one drink I want to have another and another until I am drunk.

I have never lost a job, a home, no DUI, no detox or rehab due to my drinking but I am still an alcoholic because I used it to hide from my emotions.

Again, only you can decide if you have a problem with alcohol.