View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

With respect, this is one doctor's opinion, probably a very knowledgeable one and well worth reading. But it isn't the only opinion on addiction, which still remains a mystery to many. I pray one day they will solve the mystery and find a cure or treatment that will save lives from being destroyed.

The brain is affected by drug addiction and it takes a long time to heal. While addiction is active the addict's behaviour reflects the imbalance in his/her brain. When the addict stops using, the brain takes a long time to find a healthy healing.

I believe recovery, no matter what the process, IS a spiritual miracle that comes only when the mind and body are at rest and at peace. I think rehabs, programs, counseling, meditation, and self-help can all bring this peace, and therefore the miracle that follows.

Whether medication helps or doesn't help should be left completely between the doctor and patient and is not up for debate here.

Many do recover, our boards are filled with recovered/recovering substance abusers. Many take years to get there...so the stumbles along the way are each included in the "failure" statistics, even if the person eventually finds recovery and a better way to love.

My son has been to at least 15 rehabs and eventually relapsed every time (once after 3 years recovery). That's 15 failures...but once he stops for good and never ever uses again, that will be considered only 1 sucess. The statistics don't work from where I sit, because in this situation the same person fails 15 time (or more) and succeeds once...what should the statistic say about him...now...in 5 years...in 10?

English Garden, my heart and my prayers go out to you and to every person here who struggles with finding hope. I struggle myself many days but as long as there is breath in my body I will continue to hope.

What I am trying to say above is not to criticize your post, it's a wonderful post and full of good information. What I am trying to say is that statistics are difficult to establish and the basis for what is "sucess" varies from one group of statistics to another.

My son may die from his addiction. Or he may find recovery tomorrow and be fine and happy ever after. Or he may fail 15 more times before succeeding. There is no way I can know, no way statisticians can know. Only God knows and I have to just trust that He can do for my son, what I cannot. That would involve a miracle, but I believe in miracles so there ya go.

Hugs