Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Platypus

Great article, thanks

Often what leads people to drink is depression, and often what leads to (or at least exacerbates) depression is vitamin deficiency. Almost everyone in the West is deficient in something because we generally have terrible diets, and lots of the natural goodness in food is stripped out by modern farming methods - so even when you eat "healthy", you still might not be getting everything you need,

I read an interesting article once that almost 100% of depressives (and, incidentally, also of cancer patients) are deficient in:

*B-vitamins
*Magnesium
*Iodine
*Zinc

I think there's definitely a lot of credible weight to vitamin-deficiency theories where it comes to various disorders and addictions, and it makes me mad when doctors barely address this issue at all and just try to drug everyone.

Before anything else, I'd suggest anyone with depression, anxiety, or an addiction issue tries seriously supplementing their diet.

Oh, and milk thistle is really good too - has been known for centuries to regenerate the liver, and has a host of other health benefits too.