View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newhope01

Running and Sobriety

This Sunday I will be running a half marathon of which I have been preparing for these past three weeks. When I first started, I wasn't sure if I would be able to complete the race due to the difficulty I had when I initially began running. But, as I continued to run it became easier each time to the point that it began almost effortlessly. Of course, not drinking certainly helped too.

This is my first weekend sober I can possibly remember since I graduated from college. From the first moment when I realized I had an alcohol problem, I never believed that I could make it through a weekend not consuming alcohol. And, admittedly, I tried several times and always failed. But, as I kept stringing more and more sober days together I would continue to get closer to making it through the whole weekend sober. Just like with running, it got easier and easier every time.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but, I believe that running has saved my life. There is no way I would jeopardize my running by drinking. I love the way my life is now that I've come to accept that I can no longer consume alcohol. By running I have also learned that just because something is difficult to endure, doesn't mean it doesn't get easier with practice and patience. If I can remain sober for a weekend, then I can run a half marathon.

Wish me luck guys.