Thread: disability
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Live

BacktosquareOne,

Disability isn't a "fix" for me, it means poverty.
I would much rather return to my former occupations where I make enough money and have better medical benefits.
For me, disability means I am unable to, despite my desires, due to a constant illness that impairs every part of my life. It is a bitter pill to swallow.
I filed for disability as a last resort after many years of struggling to get my feet back under me and go back to work.
Getting disability means I can pay my own dr bills and not rely on family....or on inadequate public programs.
I still struggle with my illnesses every day, there's no cure.
I can't keep it together long enough to maintain an "underemployed" position either. I have tried more than once.
Disability means literally: unable to sustain gainful employment for a period of a year or more. That is the legal criteria.
The court found that my symptoms, as documented for over 20 years up to the present are consistent with my primary diagnosis, which is a legitimate disability listed under the social security codes.
The burden of proof is on the claimant.
It sucks to be poor, marginalized and stigmatized.
One loses far more than money when unable to participate in the workforce.
Whenever I meet someone on disability, I feel compassion for them. I know there is a silent story of tragedy and pain, struggles and limitations.
I know more than a few folks who sell their medications in order to be able to pay their rent and utilities, now that is a no-win!
I've never met disability cheats tho' I have heard of them. Doesn't seem like a sane or logical thing to do to me.
But you know what? If I try to work 9 times and fail, I will lose my disability. That is a real catch 22.
I can't marry my fiancee who is disabled either. We would be stripped down on benefits so greatly that we would go in the hole with no way out. I hate that. We WANT to marry.
I could go on..but will just leave it that disability payments is for me a necessary evil.