View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Lexie says it perfectly - that "buzzy" feeling is certainly our body getting ready in anticipation for that drink. I know that when I was jonesing badly, my body would be racing, mind racing, sweaty, anxious, etc. As soon as I walked into the liquor store, I started to calm down a bit. The smell of the store was like aromatherapy for goodness sake. then when I plunked down the money and put the bottle in my bag, I felt calmer. No more sweaty palms. When I was on my way home, my mood changed, I was even calmer and the chatter in my mind slowed down. When I opened the bottle and put some in a glass (back when I used a glass!) I would pause for a second, and I could feel my body bracing for it. it was magnetic. It was like the big bang was about to happen.

All that without a drop in my body.

It's incredible the tricks our minds can play on us, and that 7 o'clock time is your body and mind bracing. Part of early sobriety / abstinence is just breaking that little cycle of dependence. It starts as simply as that. And in being fully honest with your GP, you can start that plan, and you will have the confidence that you have the support you need to start this journey on an honest and forthright first step.

It gets better.