Thread: disability
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MemphisBlues

Hello, Live. I was of those fortunate few who paid a lot into the system over 40 years, so ended getting the max benefits. And I am among the luckier few that was approved the first time I applied, my disability being major depression. I had 20 years of shrink records and a host of other medical records I submitted with my application.

But if you had to appeal, isn't your first award dated from your first application date?

Also, a major benefit to be grateful for is the Medicare, which will kick in one year after benefit starts, but I also wonder if your qualifying date isn't backed up to your initial application date, wouldn't you qualify for Medicare earlier? Like now?

I receive SSD, but it's also my understanding that if you didn't pay much into the system and your monthly benefit isn't high, you qualify for SSDI, which is for low income people?

Did you have to use a lawyer for your appeal? Most suck up nearly 50 percent of your first award check, which is a total of three months of benefits. I was told to use a lawyer when applying. It was my medicated understanding at the time that they only represented me if I was denied and had to appeal. All the lawyer did was have me bring them all of my records and mailed them into SSA. Four years later, they notified SSA that I owed them $1,500 for their "successful" representation. SSS made me pay it. Just wanted you to be warned.

Congratulations. And don't fall into the trap of feeling like a leech off the government. Disabilities is what they system is there to help with.