View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I had a massive crush on a guy in my home group in early recovery. Knee knocking.

One of the first and most useful things I learned in recovery is that feelings alone won't hurt us. We can feel them. We can sit with them, it's what we choose to do with them, behavior that might end up hurting us and others or helping us and others.

I don't think it's a bad thing to remember that the people in the room are addicts. Most addicts have issues with more than one thing. It's not just substances. We have a tendency to be pretty erratic, all or nothing in our lives in general.

And people new to recovery often relapse. Or are still in relationships with people who use. Getting involved with someone we don't know, and exposing ourselves to all their unresolved issues just isn't safe. I don't need an addict with a bunch of addict friends to know my personal business, where I live etc. There IS something to that "Anonymous" thing. Truly.

I know me. And I know how I get in relationships. And I had just gotten out of a relationship with an addict with 4 years clean, and it was nutso, even though he lived and breathed NA (lived in a half way house working with other addicts).

I also had a front seat view of the drama of relationships between other people in the rooms. Boy oh boy, you couldn't make up stories like THAT if you tried!

A crush is a crush is a crush. It can be fun and painful and make you feel more alive than you've felt for a long time. Enjoy that, feel it, don't need to act on it. A crush isn't the same as love or friendship or partnership. It's wild attraction, and all fine and well, but it's often wise to keep a crush to ourselves, whether it be in or outside the rooms.

When I get too involved with people in the rooms, it's no longer Anonymous. I find myself worrying over what they think, how they will react, etc and I find myself undermining my own recovery. And that was with NON romantic/sexual relationships.