View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Yes, but you can change your perception of what's real without anything external.

I don't think drugs are "bad", just unnecessary. I don't think what you described is anymore profound or surreal an experience than say, giving birth, jumping from an airplane, or being naked in front of a large group of people.

You don't know what you're really made of until you do some things completely on your own, with no "buffer". Tripping takes on a whole new meaning.
Agreed. Be careful about "glorifying past use" - it's easy to go there. However, I do see your point in regards to alcohol vs. other drugs. Then again, remember that alcohol also occurs naturally, in fact many animals eat the fermented fruit that has fallen from a tree and get drunk, on accident. Not everything that occurs in nature means it's okay or "better" to do.

As far as breaking down perceptions of reality, I have to say in my experience it was okay and I wouldn't change it. I did shrooms a few times in my 20's, and also had weird experiences that SHOULD have freaked me out, but didn't. What you learn during those times is that YOU ARE IN CONTROL of what you see - and in regards to life after alcohol, it's something that can be used also.

I suppose some people could say that I am boring, because I stay at home on weekend nights and don't go out. However, that doesn't matter because the only thing that matters is how I see myself. Then again, drugs and alcohol can cloud that judgement.

You see it's all just a can o' worms, isn't it? I think we need to take the good with the bad - and when it comes to past drug use we can take certain lessons with us. Don't get carried away....but yeah, it's okay to look at the world more creatively. Like Hicks said, it's all just a ride - have fun (soberly!).