Thread: Hepatitis C
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
meadowsis

My father got Hep C back in the late 60's or early 70's. He said it was from a blood transfusion from a motorcycle wreck (feasible, he did have a nasty wreck), BUT, recently I found out he was a meth user in the late 60's, so guess that could be the cause as well.

Anyways, he didn't know he was positive until he started getting tired and feeling off and had some bloodwork done about 10 years ago. So it took over 30 years to show up.

He did the interferon treatment I think it is called, was on it for almost a year and being in his mid 50's it really knocked him down. BUT, 10 years later he shows zero signs of Hep C anymore. His liver values are all good and he will be 66 this year.

He was starting to drink heavier prior to when he found out about the liver problems, I wonder if the drinking didn't stress his system and cause things to come to the surface. He quit drinking luckily when he found out.....well, he did for 10 years. Last year he started having a beer now and then and I have watched it slowly creep up, so guess we shall see where that leads.

Good luck from one sister to another. My brother DOC is heroin, curious if he will have any medical problems arise from his habits.