Thread: SMART Recovery
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Katieemma44

Agreed, completely.

The way I've combated most problems, obstacles, addictions etc etc. is "by myself" and inner strength. Once I've put my mind to something I can be unstoppable, I just have to watch myself for "weak moments". That's when I have a chance of relapse.

I quit smoking 3 years ago this May purely from mindset. I also got off speed/gas/base, whatever you know it as, and coke the same way. I don't like the "victim" and "powerless" thing. The point is to empower yourself, accept what is and what YOU can do about it. You have to learn to be able to handle life on your own shoulders, expecting god, people or whatever else to be your strength, to me, is putting your head in the sand and ignoring responsibility thus not allowing yourself for personal and emotional growth which tends to be a huge factor in drug and alcohol abuse. Emotional instability and/or irresponsibility.

This is just my view on things. I don't expect everyone to adopt my views but if I can help someone out of a hole by showing them a different way of thinking then I'd be really happy.

I've heard a great way to keep yourself motivated to staying sober is to become one of the counsellors at SMART which is something I'd really like to do, help people along the way while also helping yourself.

/rant haha

QUICK EDIT* That being said, I do find it lonely sometimes as none of my family or close friends have dealt with addiction like I have and It would be nice to have a "sober buddy" or "sponsor" or whatever it is to chat to from time to time, and relate to one another on that level.

Would anyone know a good way to get in contact with that type of "buddy system"

I might post a different thread asking this questions because it's quite specific. (Still new to this forum stuff so not 100% sure what I'm doing!)