View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 03:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by Mogqua
It was fought over in many grapevines for years and at the conferences. So documentation can be easily found if you wish to search Grapevine and Conference Reports. I think it's just comical, so I wouldn't consider myself to be over-sensitive about it and it's usually the over-sensitive that get riled by my amusement by it.

The new title in the Fourth Edition is "acceptance" and there really was no reason to change it. BTW: the new page of that is 417. I would suggest to all that they read the whole story, since it can be twisted out of context very easily. Even Dr. Paul was heard to say he didn't mean the things that everyone had turned it into to. In fact, he said he really wasn't sure what he meant when he wrote it and was rather amused at what everyone thought it was and how they argued about it.

All in all, it's a good story. One of my favorites too.
Hey Mogqua,
I really wasn't aware of the change, nor the discussion behind making the change. I don't know what Paul's reason was for saying what he said. I just know how reading it affects me and what it means to me.

I'd heard that there were some changes made in the fourth edition to reflect this rediculous move toward "political correctness" and I am one of those bangers that believes the Big Book is the AA bible and should be left alone. So far, try as they might, the first 164 pages haven't been changed. Just as recent as a day or two ago, someone on another post here mentioned something about the "real alcoholic" which was on page 21 in the third edition being on page 31 in the fourth. I looked it up. Phewww!! It's still on page 21. However, even if changes are made, they're being made at a much higher level than I, and it's really not up to me until I'm invited for my input. Until then, I'll get a little angry and then read page 449, or 417, whichever book I happen to have access to at the time, and make peace with the situation in my own way.

Thanks for the info.