Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lunetta

Originally Posted by Gforce23 View Post
Whenever I start to think that I "can't" have a beer, or that I will "never" enjoy a beer again, I start to feel really freaked out. I start imagining back yard bonfires with friends without drinking, or going to the beach with my family and not enjoying some cider with my husband-- etc. I know that my drinking has consequences, I know that my drinking is a problem, but knowing that intellectually does not seem to help my mental state.
I must say it's been really helpful just to read other people's posts.
People keep saying that it gets easier. Can I ask WHEN!????

Cheers
Tomorrow is day 30 for me, I totally know where you're coming from. I think about upcoming weddings (including those of couples not even engaged yet, that's how far in advance I've caught myself thinking). I have also been thinking of past events where I've drank with friends or family and had a great time, or had a great party. When these thoughts pop up, I try to remember the days after the party or get together was over and I continued to drink. Drinking all of the leftover alcohol from the party starting the next morning, going on a 2 or 3 day binge, not being able to stop, feeling like crap, going to work and getting sick from being hungover. I try to remind myself that unlike most people who can let loose one night, maybe nurse a hangover the next day and then be perfectly normal again I can't stop myself from drinking once I start. I think of the problems drinking has caused which far outweighs the good times. I hope this helps some and again, I totally know what you're going through!