Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
texasgal43

New to this

I came across this site while searching on the net. Hard to believe I'm here - anyway. Long story short...I progressively started drinking more and more as the years have passed. I'm 41, two kids & wonderful husband. I am surrounded by people who overindulge regularly which is why I think I never took a good look at my own habits. Thankfully, my husband pointed out in a loving way that I was really overdoing it. I didn't think so...got defensive.

Then I really considered the facts: Past 4 years literally drinking every single night. Starting at 4pm until bedtime at least 5 beers a night and/or bottle of wine. Every evening. Weekends even more. Then hiding the bottles in the trash. Sometimes drinking a glass of wine at 11 in the morning. Yeah...everything added up & I came to the realization that I may have a problem. I don't know how I got to enjoying alcohol occasionally to drinking alcohol to get drunk but that's where I'm at.

I set some goals for myself to be healthy. It's been two weeks tonight without one drink. It's in the house - my husband has a beer occasionally & it's okay for me. It's not an overwhelming sense of want although I'm sure it would be better to clear it out. I guess I'm glad I found this site. I am not the type of person to make a declaration to anyone I know that "I have quit drinking." It's just not me. I haven't even said anything to my husband although I'm certain he notices I'm much more coherent...kind of an unspoken thing. I think I should reach out to him perhaps - tell him of my personal goals & about setting a better example for the kids and everything.

It sure feels better to talk on this forum than not discuss it at all. I guess it's hard for someone like me to admit a problem but I think I do have one. I'm a perfectionist & having a "drinking problem" soooo does not go along with that!

I'm thankful for this site - glad I found it. I think it will help through those rough patches that I'm sure are headed my way....