View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HereIAm321
Huh?

I actually do kind of hate alcohol now. Moreso the cultural attitudes toward it. Sure, a glass of wine might be good for your health, but it's still a poison.

And you can get the same benefit from grape juice. No joke.

It's the oldest drug around, and that will never change. And that's fine. I don't mind that people enjoy tasting wines or brewing beers, provided they're responsible. A lot of culture is centered around alcohol, and it gives flavor to so many countries.

What I hate, is how, at least here in America, it's advertised EVERYWHERE. On billboards even. I wouldn't want my child seeing a billboard saying "Be who you are -- drink xyz brand rum" while seeing an objectified woman wearing little clothes on drinking a glass of said rum. Why is alcohol necessary to "be who you are"? Aren't we perfectly fine with who we are without alcohol? Yes. Why does a woman have to drink rum to be sexy?

Furthermore, these billboards are wayyy more prevalent in poor neighborhoods/ghettos, as are liquor stores. "Poor? Minority? Keep yourself down. Alcohol will make you happy and successful, not outreach programs..."

And domestic violence, rape, and child abuse ABOUND.....

I digress.

I just want a culture that doesn't equate being a fun, interesting, sexy, or complete person with the need to drink or drug.