View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bbthumper

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
There is misunderstanding of this in the rooms as well.

I often hear someone share that they are "powerless over everything", or "powerless over people, places and things". And some bemoan the feeling of being a victim, in some way. For me, powerlessness only applies to alcohol. I have now plugged into the greatest power source out there, and it imbues me with power that allows me to do things that I never could before. I have the power to do good and right things. I have the power to help those that come into my path. I have the power to share with others. I am no longer stricken with a hundred forms of fear. I am no longer victim to what prisons I create for myself. I am free. I couldn't have any of that under my own power.

As for people places and things. I cannot control what people think, speak or act. Nor can I change a place or some object. But I certainly have power over how I react to these things, and in that regard, I do have power regarding them. With God's power working through and in me, I don't have "triggers" - I can go wherever I please without worry, I can be with someone who in the past would have disturbed me greatly but now I have love and tolerance for, and I have no attachment to things as to have them a Higher Power.

I can only imagine what a newcomer would think if all they heard was how powerless we all were over everything. I know if I heard that, I may have had second thoughts about the program.

Great post.
Well put, Paul.