View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
English

Love and a slow painful death.

My Story:

I grew up in a loving middle class family. A good area of England, nice house and a good school. I had a large group of friends and lived a very healthy life style. I got a good job and in my twenties I travelled the world. I met a girl and married her. We had two healthy sons. We had a large house and everybody was proud of me. But I was drinking too much. But I did not want to stop.

My drinking was out of control. I lost my good job ( a manager for Mercedes-Benz ), my beautiful wife left me. I lost my sons. My large house was sold. My cars were gone. But I still drank to much. I moved away and got a new flat. I ran out of money and lost my flat.

I moved in with my parents. But started drinking even more. They had enougth and threw me out. My friends could not deal with me and my drinking. I ended up on the street for a week. I started drinking more. I moved in to a homeless hostel and stayed two and a half years.

Things got alot worst. I was told by doctors I was drink dependant. I started to **** myself, **** myself and black out all the time. I did not eat, but still got fat. My hair was long and had a beard. I did not wash and smelt all the time. My teeth started to rot and fall out. I fell over drunk and badly broke my leg. I ended up in hospital in a bad way. The doctors said I had been admitted to hospital 42 times in two years. Found blacked out. I was told my liver and kidneys were in a very bad state. My bones were crumberling and my eye sight was going to fall. If I did not stop drinking now I would be dead within a year and die a slow painful death. But I still kept drinking.

I loved drinking, It would never hurt me, It loved me

On the 31st October 2012 it was my 43rd birthday. I awoke at 7.am and drank a bottle of vodka for breakfast. My parents bought my sons round. They cried and got very upset. They left. I looked into the mirror and saw myself for the first time in twenty years. I was a ghost of a man. I swore I would never drink again. The next two weeks were hell. Shakes, sweats, seeing things, throwing up all the time and fitting. But I did it. I joined a goverment backed support group and now go three times aweek.

I am now two months sober. I had a great christmas with my family, my two sons included. I no longer want to drink or need to drink.
I have a new love in my life it's called a sober-life.

Thank you.