View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
redatlanta

My RAH said the same when we got together - he didn't mind if I had a drink but he wouldn't put up with me being intoxicated.

This was a change for me. I was never an at home drinker but I did go for drinks with friends and co-workers at least twice a week. That stopped. It was weird at first because it was such a routine, relaxing and fun. I realized that all too often I did drive when I shoudn't have - not drunk but certainly buzzed and DUI material. I consider myself lucky for not getting one.

Over time I changed my interests. RAH and I started a business outside of my regular job. We started doing things that filled the routine. I would have cocktails every once in a while at dinner - I turned into a cheap date really affected by one drink.

Then he relapsed this past summer. I am not sure if I will ever drink in front of him again but as for now NO. I don't miss it one bit - though there wasn't much to miss I had basically stopped drinking anyway.

We do have dinner with friends who drink but its just a glass or two. This doesn't bother him - I do think it would be very, very difficult for him to be with me if I was a drinker in fact he would either join the party or leave permanently.