View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
andisa

At least trying to do the next right thing. What that is isn't necessarily obvious. Patience and progress are a delicate balance to achieve. I have moments where the "next right thing" seems so perfectly clear, that being, renounce the drugs entirely and proceed on with a drug-free life. How freeing and right that sounds! It's exciting to consider, but then reality kicks in, and reminds me I really like (am addicted to) those drugs I'm leaving behind. Simply walking away suddenly isn't so simple an option.

What has become clear to me through the past couple weeks of once again debating what to do next, or whether to do anything, is that remaining inside my own head isn't going to get me anywhere, except quite likely back into the drugs again. I can't just avoid coming into contact with them forever, which has been my modus operandi for the past six years.

The drugs, by the way, are pot and the whole spectrum of hallucinogens. There is no more complete escape than tripping, no-one can touch me there, and everything seems so right with the world when doing them. No doubt, no fear, when there. That's hard to let go of. So now trying to replace it. No, it's not easy. So we carry on to figuring out the next right thing to do.