Thread: Baking Soda
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lastonestanding

Baking Soda

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I am the sister of a hardcore addict of ten years now. My addicted sister has been jailed, license revoked, done eight stints in rehab, outpatient rehab 5 times with suboxone(sic) divorced with only supervised visitation with her three daughters, and is currently living with my widowed 84 year old father, who is completely co-dependent. I have cut off contact with my sister for about 4 years now. My father is extremely upset about that, but I have a family and life of my own that deserve to be untainted by her addiction and its accompanying horrors.

My father supports her completely, financially, emotionally, he even pays her cell phone bills and gives her spending money because "she still needs a social life". Every attempt by myself and other family members to reason with him is futile. He will have to have an epiphany of his own. I am close to my father, he and I are the only members of my immediate family left (Mom died in 2001, sister is, well, "not present") My father still thinks he can fix her addiction. He is constantly searching her room, finding white powders, wine bottles, prescrition bottles with strangers names on them. I have to keep gently reminding him that it won't work, but his codependency is as strong as her addiction.
Lately, on his forays into her room to discover her hidden cache of pharmacology, he has found baking soda under the bed, in the linen closet, even hidden in the radiators. I am not familiar with drug paraphernalia other than the occasional joint in college, so please forgive me if this is a stupid or ignorant question, but what is this used for?