View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2granddaughters

Originally Posted by pigeon21 View Post
I just started with a sponsor in September and was meeting her at her home once a week for about 2 hours and we had progressed to Step 4. I did not LOVE her, but I felt we could work the steps together. My very first time through the Steps this far. All of a sudden this past week she announced that we were now meeting at a cafe and on a different day and time. She also kind of sat there and criticized me, saying I had a lot of anger. Well who doesn't who has 6 months sobriety after 45 years of using, and is working on Step 4? Does this sound right? She said we are SUPPOSED to meet in a public place and I am simply not comfortable spilling out my 5th step in a CAFE!!

Thoughts?
Hello pigeon21:

The first while with a sponsor can be ... can be... well, everything. Scary/maddening/exciting/depressing/overwhelming/easy (I know I missed a few).

My suggestion is to tell your sponsor how you feel and ask her to explain anything you don't understand.

Truth is I don't know you or your sponsor nor the details of your relationship. Every question I ever asked my sponsor was answered. If you need a second opinion then ask one/some of the trusted oldtimers in your group.

Most everything you are asked to do in early recovery will seem awkward/unnatural and mis-understood. Count on that and you won't be disappointed or surprised (too much)

All the best.

Bob R