View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I personally don't ascribe to this manner of thinking, I mean, at ANY moment in time, had we been doing something different, in a different place the fabric of life for ourselves and others would change. Spending a lot of time reflecting on what if, in one direction or another... well like statistics, that can be used to support or condemn nearly anything.

If I was at the pool...maybe so and so wouldn't have drowned. If I took that job at the bakery, maybe I wouldn't have met that guy who burned me so bad in a relationship, If I'd adopted a different dog...it goes on and on.

No matter what, we will have good things happen and bad things happen. Not everything we do drunk is horrible, and not everything we do sober is comendable. That's life.

I think we have a better shot at making good decisions sober, and carrying out the things we want to do for ourselves and others.

Ironically, in my case, I turned to drinking and drugging in an attempt to cover up my anxiety so I could "be there" for others. I only became less available to them and myself, and any good I might actually do.