View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TSDD

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Im not going to stand by and watch untreated alcoholism take its course
Way to take this other guy's inventory AND minimize him staying sober at the same time! Plenty of folks have thrown this rubbish at me trying to use my back as a rung on their way up the self esteem ladder. Naught for nothing but people trying to bully me with lines like that are a big reason I've avoided going anywhere near steps or step meetings.

My friends encourage me, and as far as everyone OUTSIDE AA in my life who cares about me is concerned I am doing great. They are absolutely thrilled that I'm not getting drunk anymore. Furthermore I'm rather delighted with the person I am when I'm not funneling alcohol into my gullet.

In fact the only people I ever encountered who seem to have a problem with me not drinking anymore are some bullies in AA meetings who feel the way in which I go about not drinking today isn't quite good enough for them.

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
... this guy wants the solution that recovered members of AA carry.
Well then what's holding him back from coming to your step meeting and jumping on board with whatever it is you want him to do?

IMO if you're using the steps to worry about what OTHER PEOPLE are and are not doing you're doing it way wrong. I have complete confidence that if your attitude, friendship, and "solution" looks appealing to this fellow, he'll come along of his own accord.

I've been around enough time and enough places to see a lot of men and women taking a lot of different roads and all winding up in roughly the same place. I'm no where near conceited enough to believe that I know what someone else does or doesn't "need" to stay sober and have a good life. I'm am quite convinced; however, that anyone looking will find their own answers in AA.