View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
proxyshed

Chest pain/discomfort during withdrawl

I've been a pretty heavy drinker for a few years now, drinking on average about 750mls of hard liquor a day, night and day, sometimes more but rarely less.

A couple of days ago I had a pretty big scare, my head felt like it was going to explode and I thought I was having a stroke. I went to the ER, I told them about my alcohol abuse but they brushed it off and didn't really explore it. They took my blood and gave me a CAT scan but couldn't find anything wrong. A few days later and I'm still suffering major discomfort. I saw my doctor today, was completely honest and was given a prescription for Benzodiazepines to help the withdraw symptoms. It's been about 6 hours since I took them, and they don't seem to be making that much of a difference.

Now, I'm not sure this is withdraw. I've quit cold turkey and went about 3 weeks without a drop just in the last month or two and I've never experienced anything similar to this. I've got a tightness in the left side of my chest and I'm having a hard time speaking normally. The doctor took my blood pressure and it was within a normal range.

Any thoughts? I've been out of my skin since Monday, and continuing to drink in the last couple days didn't seem to fully get rid of this discomfort.