View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
missingtheoldme

I have been addicted to codeine for many many years. I was on methadone for a short time to get off of them..it worked and I weaned off the methadone and all was great. But I started taking them again after a couple of years due to hangovers and stress due to a break up. Big mistake. I originally began taking codeine for the exact same reason as you...a herniated disc...it was terrible pain. Life was a struggle physically for a long time. I was in physio and walked with a cane for a short span. I became addicted and I still suffer from this condition from time to time but needed to take the codeine no matter what. Pain or no pain. My doctor tried to taper me off originally and that was very difficult, the withdrawal from codeine is exactly as you describe and I was going insane. It was hell for me....worse than quitting drinking for sure. I can tell you from my experience that you are likely not getting any pain relief from the codeine at this time...I actually found that when I first started taking the codeine I was feeling better not because the pain was less but because of the buzz. It is true that only you can decide if you are an addict...reading what you wrote and my experience with the drug you are addicted and need to get off of them. In Canada you can buy 8mg over the counter no problem. It is a terrible thing actually. If your pills contain tylenol as well you will destroy your liver. I feel for you so much because I can so relate and no exactly where you are and how you feel. The withdrawals will go away but it is not a pleasant process. Can you go to a facility to detox possibly or something else to ease your withdrawals? Please message me about anything. I would love to support you and share anything that I have experienced. Take it easy and stay in touch. hugs