Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mainza

Sobriety seems to be more than just not drinking

When I decided to quit alcohol last year I changed my lifestyle and worked hard at becoming a better person. I felt as good as I have at any other point in my life. I did this for over 6 months but I slipped up in June of this year. There have been stretches since my relapse when I haven't drunk but it hasn't been the same as my 6 months+ stretch.

I feel like this active sobriety is what I have been missing the past few months. For me, sobriety is about a lot more than just not drinking. It is about working on yourself in all areas of life. Day after day I slowly was becoming a stronger person and I let one night of drinking impede my progress. My latest drunken episode on Friday has been a wake up call. I am an alcoholic and I can't handle a single drink. I will never drink again and I will not change my mind about that. I am very grateful for this forum and all of your support.

Does this idea that just not drinking is not enough to remain sober? Does there have to be something to replace your drinking life? I think so.