View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cangel2

As parents we always hope! And as parents we always over think and over react. Just my opinion.

It seems to me from your posts that this is early days for you in understanding where your daughter is and what she may be doing. My first recommendation based on my experience would be to create a very very open environment for her to share and talk. I did this and learned a lot from my AS about what he was doing and where he was in his addiction. Not all of it was true and I didn't get the complete story and details but what I got from it was the information that he recognized he was out of control and needed help. If I hadn't just left an open space for him to talk without my wanting to control or drive a conclusion I never would have been given the gift of understanding when he truly wanted help.

Certainly....my situation is different than others. But I truly believe if we are quiet and leave space for "our addicts" to speak then we may see places where they are asking for something healthy. Of course there are many times when they are asking us to support their addiction....these are times we need to set our boundries and set limits. But I really believe that there are moments we can grab hold of and dip into that can help.

Key to learning the difference between helping and enabling comes from reading A Lot about addiction...going to Alanon...Alanar meetings and reading a lot on SR! The healthier we are the healthier they have the ability to become.....