View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
HangOn

First off I'd like to say that I have an AB. He's only two years younger than I am and I am 23. It's extremly difficult for me that he has a drug problem. He's been my best friend ever since I can remember. I do believe I am extremley close to my little brother (or was before the using). We also have an older brother, but there is really no contest that my younger brother and I were the closet sibilings in the house. It's hard to have someone you knew completely change into a different person because of the abuse of drugs. I can tell you exactly when my brother is high (as I'm sure most of you can tell when you're loved ones are high). I have distanced myself from my younger brother quite a bit since his addiction, mostly for my own sanity. Since we live in the same house together and finances don't agree with me moving out, I've had to make the best out of a bad situation.

Originally Posted by SSHope View Post
Redium....

Interesting information, but as they stated, why one sibling is an addict and the others are not is a complicated problem. My brother and I did not grow up in an abusive household nor are our parents substance users or drinkers. I never experimented with drugs, not even pot, and while I drink on occasion, I have never felt as though I needed to. So why is my brother an addict while I am not? I would be curious to read more about this subject.
Like you, my brothers and I did not grow up in an abusive household. I do drink on occasion, and yes I've smoked pot before. But, I do not have an addictive nature. I don't ever feel the need to drink and to be honest don't know why pot is so popular, its stupid and doesn't do anything IMO, so why smoke it. My AB on the other hand, does in my opinion drink a little too much, thats not his addiction though. He's addicted to prescription pain killers, and Opiats.
However unlike you addiction does run in my family. My father suffers from an addiction to alcohol, but not to the point where it interferes with his job. And I believe farther back than that on both my mother and father sides, there have been addicts.
Like I said though I have no problem with addiction whatsoever. While my little brother suffers greatly with addiction. IMO addiction can be something you inherit from your family. Just like kids inherit eye color, hair color etc. I believe addiction is a trait that can be inherited. So while I did get the blonde hair and blue eyes from my father, my brother got his addiction trait. Which to me is why it makes sense why I'm not an addict and he is. Could be why one or more sibilings are addicts while one is not.