View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
albeitslowly

Most doctors in my area charge between $300-$500 a month for the visits.
I found a harm reduction program, and although it has a wait list, the doctors visits are only $100. They are also a non-profit organization.

It took some really hard searching to find them, and WEEKS of calling every morning until a slot opened up. Because I called every single day, I kept getting bumped up the wait list and I eventually got my spot.

There may be programs like this in your area. You might try contacting methadone treatment clinics and rehabilitation/detox centers in the area you live in, and just outside it as well. They can sometimes refer you to little-known treatment clinics like mine, which are low cost.

As for the prescription, subutex is much cheaper and there are ways to get discounted prescriptions. For instance, with a $100 annual Sam's Club membership, you get 40% off all generic medications in the Sam's Club pharmacy. That means my 60 tablet buprenorphine prescription is $120. It's still not CHEAP, but it's BETTER. This is only one of many different ways to get more affordable treatment, and the best bet is what was mentioned above: the patient assistance program through the pharmaceutical company which manufactures suboxone, as you would (if you qualify and are approved) get free treatment for an entire 12 months. They send you a card that you have scanned at the pharmacy and your prescription is paid for. I'm currently waiting, on almost my 3rd week of waiting actually, to hear back and find out if I was approve for the program.

If you can find an affordable enough physician, in conjunction with the assistance program, the price of treatment can become much more manageable. I'm sorry there isn't better news, unfortunately for us suboxone is not very affordable to gain access to in most circumstances but I wish you the best of luck.

Please let us know if you find something. Good luck!