View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
farfaraway

Hello rollercoaster,

My 28 year old sister is a drug addict. When I was a teenager my parents spent much of their time and money keeping her problem a secret. They never made an effort to seek help for me or my brother. And they did nothing when my sister would break into our rooms, steal our money and valuables, or beat us when she couldn't get anything. I don't know how many times I was threatened with death before I turned 18. And my parents: "What do you want me to do about it?""Why do you leave your stuff out for her to get?". And I knew if I called the police, I'd be the one in trouble. I used to stay as late as I could at school, joined every after school club. And then I'd RUN upstairs to my room and lock myself in for the night. Our family life was a big lie. I'm not close to any of them really.

I moved to another country, and now that I'm far away from the dysfunction, I see it in every interaction I have with them. So I haven't spoken to my parents in nearly a month. I don't have to worry about them calling me. I broke contact with my sister a year ago after she stole my mother's engagement ring and other jewelry, and bought heroin, which she used in my parents' home. Right after she did that, she got pregnant and she's due to have a baby very soon!

In a way I envy those of you who still really love your addicted sibling. I honestly do not love my sister. But in situations like these I am so sorry for what you are going through!