View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I've never heard of getting liver failure after stopping drinking. The alcohol is the poison that is destroying your liver in the first place, by stopping, the liver (assuming it's not too damaged) begins repairing itself.
Only partially true (((((Forward)))))

Yes, there are people that do develop cirrhosis years into recovery. Usually because the liver could only heal so much and when something else started to affect the liver the cirrhosis. A friend of mine at 12 years sober ended up with cirrhosis after catching Hep B and the meds involved were really hard on his liver.

I personally was diagnosed after 14 years of sobriety from me using Tylenol on a daily basis, for several years from getting 'cluster headaches' which today they know are a form of a migraine headache. Put me back in liver failure.

I am okay today, I have about 52% liver function and do just great. My doctors are very careful in what medications they prescribe me for some of my health issues including my diabetes, always aware of my decreased liver function.

So yes, after a liver heals in our sobriety it is still 'damaged.' And there is no guarantee it will 'totally' heal.

However, (((((Shepherdess))))), please do NOT over think this. As said above, go to your doctor, be totally honest, tell said Dr how much you drank, for how many years and that you are worried. You Dr will do the preliminary tests to get a base line to compare to and will probably do a test every 3 months, then every 6 and finally about once a year.

Please do NOT drive yourself crazy by what you read on the internet, as many times it can be contradictory to something else you read.

J M H O

Love and hugs,