Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
zany90

Its a multiple fold thing i think ...

naltrexone and campral help with cravings... and if the triggers become so strong and one of those catapult cravings kicks in then the drink becomes totally unsatisfactory anyway as i experienced the other night, so eventually it just doesnt do what its supposed to do in those circumstances (as my addicted brain would have it)

On the other hand im going to have to force myself - Like, every time ive ever asked a girl out, its been glass in hand, entire social life, bars and parties, everyone i know, constantly drinking, AA yes a great help, but all about alcohol.

Since i admitted i am an alcoholic no-one invites me out any more, since all they ever do is go to the bars and clubs - it may be helping in some sense but has just left a massive hole...

I grew up in circles where partying was all there was, and its kinda left me feeling like i dont know what else to be doing

I think the meds are a help not a cure, my thinking was along the lines of if a slip happens then it just doesn't work anyway so it kinda re-inforces how useless alcohol really is

Meanwhile im gonna have to pluck up the courage to ask people out without alcohol, I cant wait to get back into education in september because it will be a distraction and again my ultimate goal is a degree that can get me into a great career so thats what im aiming for but at the minute its kind of a void

I totally agree the meds are entirely useless in the situations that make me drink but could be very useful in the prevention, or if a slip happens, reinforcement of abstinence