View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jahsp01

Need help with a recovering addict

Hey there,

I don't know whether anyone can help me. Last night my husband's oldest friend, war buddy, called in tears because his 21 year old son is driving he and his wife crazy. He has been on off of Heroin for the last 6 months, but is being sucked back into "the life." He is on a waiting list for a prestigious drug rehab place in San Diego. What's the problem? My husband told him, "get him the hell away from Dodge! Send him to us...OMG! I'm with my husband, I'm a teacher and bleeding heart, but I don't know anything about what to expect, what to prepare myself for...like I said again, OMG!

These are the things I do know. He is under a doctor's care and is on some type of medication (not Methodone). The kiddo has to check in with the doctor every Monday, Wednesday and Friday..I know we'll talk more, but anyone have any idea of where I start? I intellectually know about Heroin addiction, withdrawals, and am generally aware of the behaviors of an addict. But how do you suggest I help support him until he goes to rehab?

Thanks in advance for any advice!