View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Great topic. This is one of my pet peeves. The idea that alcoholism is the “be all end all” to an alcoholics problems. Perhaps it is the only problem…for them, but claiming to know this about everyone else is dangerous. I speak up about this every time I hear it because this idea is destructive. It frequently comes from people who have been around longer and goes unchallenged. The newcomer is sometimes confused. They might come to AA from a very knowledgeable health care professional (with a diagnosis and a recommendation to go to AA to help with their alcoholism) only to have a vocal AA telling them all they need to worry about is their alcoholism.

That’s why I speak up every time this takes place. I do this as gently and as respectfully as I can, but I do it. It’s a bit more difficult when it happens in a meeting, so sometimes I need to wait till after the meeting to talk to the person(s). Because most people in AA have the motivation to be helpful, and they know I have a desire to do likewise, my opinions are typically considered. I have noticed I have changed a few minds on this issue.

Inaction supports the status quo. This applies as much to the dissemination of misinformation as it does to alcoholism itself.