View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bayliss

Welcome to SR BackOnTrack.

I, like you am pretty young as well, I never drank as a teenager but getting into my 20s I started drinking and it definitely increased over the years. It's no surprise that a lot of people's drinking begins in college.
And sometimes you just can't control it and it becomes worse.
I also drank to self-medicate. I too worry about my parents health, boyfriends health, my health...just the future in general...or things that go on day to day...the anxiety kicks in and then I drank to "feel better"...even though the next day I would wake up with a wicked hangover and the problem was still there and the anxiety was worse.

10 days sober is really good! I know that you feel like it's a struggle but as so many people here on SR say - it only gets better...why go back to drinking - make your health problems worse and then go through all that detox and crap all over again?

If you're not into AA then try and check out RR as Sugarbear suggested. Something may click there for you.
Since you are 10 days sober then the initial withdrawal may just be done and over with...now you just gotta deal with the mental aspect of things...the cravings and such - which with a plan can be tolerable and eventually go away (mind you, with your health problems you may want to consult a doc with regards to withdrawal and whatnot).

I have quit in the past...gone a couple of weeks, only to go back to drinking and then afraid to quit...again and again...it isn't fun. 10 days is huge...I think you should stick with it. Post as often as you want on here, people will be supportive and more then willing to listen and give advice.

I can't say too much...as I haven't had a substantial amount of sobriety under my belt...but I keep trying and want to beat this thing and it seems like you want to as well.
But we (and I!) are here to listen!

*edit - typos - now that I am sober I reread and it drives me crazy! Lol*