Old 04-08-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MrSilver

What do sober people do for fun on weekends?

I have been sober now for 9 months (other than a couple of nights) but I still have not been able to make many sober friends. I have met a few in college, but for the most part I sit at home on Friday and Saturday nights watching TV, reading, and surfing the web. My life is so boring now. I have very few friends and have developed no lasting bonds. I don't drink, smoke, or use any illegal drugs. But I also don't date, or even get out of the house much. It gets very boring and lonely. This is a small town, and most of the people that live here are older people with children, or have retired. The younger people who do live here tend to party. During the week it's not such a problem because I have classes and a study group. Also I have met some people by getting involved in local charity work and at the gun club. However these are not anyone I would actually consider friends. More like associates.

Now I am not a very social person to begin with. I tend to be a bit of a loner and like a lot of space. However too much of that is unhealthy. I feel like I am not active and that leads to being tired and bored a lot of times. It also feels like life is passing me by when I sit in my apartment all weekend doing things by myself. I don't even talk to people on the phone much anymore. Nobody I was friends with back home calls to see how things are going.

Don't get me wrong, moving out here 10 months ago was the right thing to do. In fact I had been trying to do it for a few years, and it worked out even though I never would have been able to write a script on how. Since I have been out here I quit drinking, I have not used marijuana a single time, and I not only am back in school, but am doing well and enjoying it.

The bad part is I still don't have a job. I think that leads to a lot of social anxiety since I have no answer to the question "What do you do?" It has lead to me being less socially active. Having a job would also mean meeting new people and facing new challenges. It would get me out of the house more because I would have extra money to spend. So that would be a big help. The economy out here is bad though and there are a lot more people looking for jobs than there are jobs open. I will keep trying though.

In the meantime, what do you suggest I do to meet more sober people and have fun on the weekends?