View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
illbewaiting

I personally never used NA or any other meetings, and my fiance is opposed to them because they are so strongly linked to spiritual beliefs, which he is not.
My recovery was based upon pure will power and the want/need to do better things with my life.
I did what(in my experience) I've seen very few people do..
I woke up one day, I had my "last dance with my demon".. and decided it was time to stop.
It wasn't the life I wanted to lead and I saw myself getting worse with each day.
I'm not going to say I never had a relapse, because I did, but it was short lived.
I relapsed once and never, ever turned back. I was convinced I was going to die it I kept going down that path, and that's probably what ultimately got me out.
Now I've got a life I wouldn't trade for anything. I take the good with the bad, and I thank whatever force it was that helped me get clean every day.
I am so very grateful for my beautiful son and the opportunities that I've been given and it's hard for me to wrap my head around what I my life could have become had I allowed it to get that far.
Anyone can do it. It comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it. These "101 tools" really can help though. There's a lot of valuable information there, and I wish I had things like this and SR to aid me in my recovery, BUT I chose to hide my addiction AND my recovery from everyone because I was ashamed, and so I did it on my own without a support system in place.
Recovery is the greatest gift you can give to yourself and the people who love you.