View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
angel1hd

One alcoholic dating another

Before I decided to get sober, my this guy I'm seeing and I drank together all the time. He's also an alcoholic and our alcoholism is the initial reason we started spending time together. However, feelings between us grew since the last summer (when we first started hanging out), and a little over a month ago I decided to quit drinking. He still drinks, and he knows he has a drinking problem. I go to college about 6 hours away, and when I go home to visit him he stays sober. When I leave, however, he picks up the bottle again. He says when he's with me he doesn't feel the need to drink anymore. The thing is....I'm worried that if we decide to get serious there may be some point when he decides to drink again and I'm not sure I could handle it. I have an alcoholic dad as well and I would hate to be in a long term relationship with alcoholic who refuses to get sober since I dealt with that my entire childhood.
He says he would get sober for me, that I'm worth more to him than alcohol. But he can't make any promises since he really loves to drink...
Basically, I know its not the greatest idea to be with him since there's always that risk that I might get put in a situation to drink again. But since everything else is great between us, is his alcoholism alone enough for us to go our separate ways? I really want to have faith that he can get sober and stay that way, but I don't know if I would be ignorant to do so. Should I just stay with him and see how things play out? But then I might get too attached and will be stuck with an alcoholic who continues to drink. I just don't know what to do....sorry this is long but any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!