View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Pock89

I need some advice.
This is my boyfriend's third week living in a sober house. He seemed to be doing really well. He's been going to 7 meeting a week, he started working again, and thing were really starting to look up for him. I've been going to naranon meetings, and I've been hanging out on this site everyday.
He told me last night that he's been having trouble taking the mandatory 3 drugs test per week (urine tests). He said he has trouble urinating if someone else is in the room with him.
He told me that he's afraid they will kick him out of the house because he can't do this. He was telling me he was so depressed, and now that he's sober, he has to deal with all of the emotions that were previously numb because of the drugs.
I told him that he has to find a way to make it work because I don't have much faith that he'll stay clean if he leaves the house (he's only been there for 3 weeks!) I said that if he leaves the house, he'll pretty much seal his own fate. And he agreed and says that he'll probably just overdose. So he obviously is thinking that he's going to get out of the house and use again.
I'm thinking that although he didn't say it, maybe he was having a craving and wanted to use last night?
He is going to talk to the man that runs the sober house today and see if he can work something out with him so he can stay.
Is it normal to feel very depressed in early recovery? Are the cravings to get high still very strong?
I'm really nervous about what's going to happen. I know it's out of my control. He's not allowed to come back to my house if he leaves this sober house so he'll have to find somewhere else to live. I know 3 weeks is definitely not long enough, and he will absolutely pick up again if he leaves the house today.
I'm also worried that maybe he doesn't want this bad enough...I feel like by him just willingly leaving this place that's helping him, maybe he's not ready to stop using. In that case, it doesn't matter how long he stays at the sober house, he'll just use whenever he gets out.
I'm feeling really stressed and nervous this morning.