View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bookreader

Son in rehab wants out

For the past few weeks I have been reading all your advice and now have my first question. My 23 year old AS (oxycodone) spend 4 days inpatient detox and then went to a 28 day residential. Self pay, meaning we pay. Health insurance would not cover. He has been there 15 days. Long phone call today and he wants to leave. He said the first week was helpful, but now he sits all day and listening to everyone's story about using and is just feeling worse about himself. He said he is not getting practical advice and feels like they just rehash the same discussions everyday. He said there is construction work going on at the place and he wanted to go ask if he could help just to be doing something productive. When he left inpatient detox the doc and AS both said his chance at relapse at that point were 100%. They both thought residential was the only way to keep him clean.

The first week he was at residential he talked about what they were doing, now, nothing.

So what am I looking for - advice for us, where to point him for practical, assertive advice. If he does come home or to his apartment with GF (not AGF), how do I keep from asking him if he is using? This has been going on for over a year and we only found out about 6 weeks ago. My kids have put me through the ringer on several fronts but this one is new to us.
Thanks for listening/reading.
b.