View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

I can say from experience that making amends to ex's is just what it is talked up to be when its done with the true spirit of setting things right and not simply apologizing or otherwise being frothy about the past relationship.

I and my wife today are both into our 2nd marriage with each other. We'll have 3 yrs in October. We're both recovered alcoholics, her 11 yrs, me 30 yrs. My ex of 22 yrs marriage with me as well is a recovered alcoholic with 28 yrs. My wife's ex of 18 yrs marriage with her was never an alcoholic. Not all amends have to do with being previously drunk. Things can can broken up and shattered in a sober fashion too... and this can sometimes be even more hurtful since alcoholic drinking is not the "acceptable reason offered" when the transgressions occured. Sober consequences are often life changing events.

We all have made our amends to each of our respective ex's. Some of those amends were painful and some were healing. It was altogether a worthwhile effort from all of us and now the four of us enjoy a growing sense of closure.

Both our ex's are now remarried as well.

Amends -- both direct and indirect -- are an honorable effort to make right and do right and the sole purpose is to set right and restore what was wrecked, lost, broken, thrown away, kicked to the curb, cheated on, lied about, and bargained away into nothingness.

I made my amends. I'm glad I did. My wife and I chose to share most of our amends experiences as we made the efforts with our respective ex's. We did not share absolutely eveything though -- some efforts were naturally private and for the respective ex's experience only.

A word of caution: Amends are worse then nothing if nothing is made right...