Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
KelleyF

Originally Posted by TMZ View Post
No it is not the same as felons. It's more like cancer victims helping one another through there disease. Remember this is a disease and it affects the brain ( and other parts of the body.)

It is better for them to hang out with a recovering addict than there old friend addicts, is it not.
The RA understand one another better than us normies do and they know when there slipping. They willcall them on it and help them stay clean.

Go to Nar-Anon You might be nervous but once your in there you will be fine. You don't need to share unless you feel like it. I always leave the meeting feeling better.
M
I also say attend a NA meeting with your ABF (Just one with him, you don't want to interfere with his anonymity and his sharing) You can attend another
one a few times if you want to , but I always recommend NA so you get a new
outlook on someone that is working the program. That way you meet some
Recovering Addicts. For they are RA for the rest of there life.

TMZ,

Maybe I should have included the phrase " early recovery" into my question. Meaning the first two years as ive been told.

See i don't see it being at all like any other type of situation.
Cancer patients cant trigger another person.
I understand the part of meetings and discussion; and if your saying that these friends are just a part of the newly recovering persons social group; so they still are encouraged to socialize and be with non-addicts on a larger scale; I get this. But a group of new people in early recovery seems like still a mix for disaster if the premise is relapse rates and honest to goodness attempts at sobriety are rare.

This is really just a question that has tugged at me since i came to SR.
My BF doesn't use the 12 steps so be doesn't do meetings with NA or the like.

So it's really just for my knowledge that I'm trying to grasp this concept.