Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lesliej

"the concept of isolating themselves WITH ONLY or PRIMARILY WITH other recovering addicts...

recovering addicts often feel guilt and shame , feel like they cannot be accepted by non addicts"

I don't know where you're getting this Kelley, I think you are confusing people who are in recovery and those who are active in addiction.

people who are in recovery "IN" recovery have usually processed through shame and guilt, are not isolated, and are often even grateful for having survived the disease...people who are in recovery are probably the best suited to assist a struggling addict with seeing through their own deceit and manipulation...because if they are struggling with recovery that is most likely occurring. in recovery circles we hold each other accountable and can see the mental/emotional/spiritual symptoms, often where others cannot see it or do not understand it, or have simply been too hurt to have much more patience or tolerance for it...

fellowship in recovery is a great form of long term sustainable health.

it's easy to imagine if you just look at yourself on this site
WE are a form of fellowship, are WE are isolated on this site?, WE are not prone to relapse due to the fact that we are here to support each other! and there are plenty of people here that, if we were in the same city I would be looking to meet for coffee and maybe "cheesecake"!

I hope you know, that even with our history I am not arguing with you...I am in recovery and hope to share a little insight