Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Becky1234

Originally Posted by CodeNameGiggles View Post
Even if you point it out to him, he won't get it. He needs to make that journey on his own. My husband, while in detox, also didn't think he needed a program. His counselors tried to make me assist them in getting him into inpatient treatment (ironic given they work with a 12 step program and the first thing you learn on both sides is that the alcoholic is solely responsible for their addiction) and into a 12 step program. The harder they pushed, the more my husband didn't want to do those things. He wound hitching his own ride on the clue bus and decided to take part in outpatient treatment.

I also want to say that even though I had started the process of detaching from my husband's addiction long before he wound up in detox, the nearly 2 weeks he was in there, mostly without contact, was incredible for my healing.
I have to say that I'm amazed at how much I'm enjoying this time alone. I was always so scared to be left alone and I think that's half the reason why I never did anything about this situation before now. And now I find that I feel better than I have for ages, it's so peaceful and I realise what stress I've been living under.