Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Alcoholics are not cookie cutter or easy to unravel the "why's" of addiction. Every day science is finding out more and more information about addiction and uncovering fascinating information about the brain and how to treat addiction and coexisting conditions such as ADD, depression, bipolar that are often contributing factors.

Our "knowing" how to address brain issues and social, mental and spiritual conditions of untreated alcoholism only helps us to know that they are "not on the path" of recovery... in my case it often adds to my codieness! I want to "control" his recovery as I am so "knowleable" about addictions, causes and methods and modes of recovery!

He knows the same stuff but chooses not to apply it and he relapses... and the cycle continues over and over and over again.

That being said... to me it does help to understand addiction and I have read hundreds of books many science based. In my opinion the best book out there for an introduction to alcoholism that is comprehensive yet easy to understand with the most accurate and up to date information and suggestions of how to structure recovery is Dr. Amen's "Unchain Your Brain". It is simply excellent in every way for the addct or those who love him or her.