View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
VolcomStone51

Ha, I really like this thread!! I just recently had a year sober and the only praise I got was from my sponsor and my father who is also an alcoholic (sober 8 years). I don't say that as poor me that is all I got, it was perfect! I just wanted my sponsor and my father to reognize that I had made it through 365 days without a drink, and it made me feel good about myself. Now, they didn't say I was amazing or anything like that they just gave me a little kudos, which is what the fellowship is all about; support and equality.

Now, some of my friends have said I am amazing, but because I beat cancer at age 24, and then got sober at age 25 and am now the healthiest I have ever been in my life (not my opinion....it's theirs, although I am pretty pumped about it)! Where I am going with this, is sometimes it is not always about just getting "sober" it is the WHOLE timeline! Some people that I have met have really been through some stuff and have gotten back on track through sobering up and I think they are great/amazing to face their demons and come out on top. But just because someone puts the bottle down, and doesn't change their actions to better themselves and better this world, they are not worthy of Greatness in my opinion. The "greatness" comes out of the persons actions and kindness after battling addiction to better this world.