View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wywriter

Wow, sounds like my ex -- 'cept that was the husband who wasn't addicted to anything other than food. We were together five years, and when I left he told me how he should have never left his previous girlfriend and I was the worst thing that ever happened to him. Two weeks later, his new girlfriend moved in (looking back, I'd be willing to wager that'd been going on about five months before I left) and she announced her pregnancy within the month.

One thing that took me a while to realize is that, though he has since seemed to realize that I really wasn't all that bad (the new one...now wife...is extremely controlling and materialistic), he would have to acknowledge his own wrongdoing in order to be able to apologize. The closest he ever got was trying to accuse me of doing the things he was doing, because then he wouldn't be so bad if I was doing it too.

Sounds like your ex is far, far away from accepting that he has a problem, and therefore far away from ever trying to make amends. Bear in mind that he is addicted, and his actions serve his addiction -- to apologize would be acknowledging that the addiction exists. It's not easy to move on or to let go of the need for closure, but somewhere, somehow, there is a way for you to move on regardless of what he does, for no other reason than you need to do it. It probably doesn't feel like it right now, but just keep working on providing yourself with what you need to be happy and healthy, and eventually the healing will take place...and BIG virtual (((hugs))) in the meantime.