View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Alcohol is a poison, therefore my plan is to never drink alcohol again.

I know now that moderation doesn't work for me (tried it a bunch of times)...it never has, it never will and that if I attempt to moderate, I will continue to get drunk over and over again and will always have this monkey on my back and I will never grow in to a happy, healthy, well adjusted rational adult. I know that if I moderate, I will never quit smoking (only smoke when I drink)...I never smoke when I am sober and I can't help myself when I am drunk. The smoking will stop automatically if I avoid the booze...I have never smoked while sober (except 1 cigarette 6 years ago).
good stuff in there Colton. I'd suggest that, for many if not most ppl, alcohol isn't so much a poison as a recreational drug that they're able to get some benefits from without going overboard like an alcoholic would/does.

I see lots of ppl who can enjoy a couple drinks. It helps lower their inhibitions, it relaxes them (as 1 or 2 will for most anyone) and they.........miraculously......just stop right there. For me though, drinking felt SO good to just stop right when the magic was starting seemed downright insane. Once i'd start I'd ALWAYS think, "gee, 2 was good....just think how great 4 will be.......then 6.........then 8.......etc." My reaction to drinking may seem pretty "normal" around here but SR has a high concentration of alkies - lol.

While I don't see alcohol as POISON in a general sense......I do see it as poison FOR ME.