Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I thought it was more along the lines of the common question that is asked in early sobriety - why do I drink too much? Would I not want to drink (at all maybe) if my serotonin levels were good and all neurotransmitters were just fine, thanks very much?
Yes, I know, and most people do have those questions, but it is also the nature of the Beast to send people on wild goose chases looking for hidden causes of addiction. Some people can and do literally spend years trying to fix their 'underlying issues', all the while never actually quitting, or as in the case of certain therapies (REBT, for example)*, hoping to be able to drink moderately once they do fix those issues. AVRT intentionally avoids all of that and says "quit first, then work on your issues."

* See the REBT-based "When AA Doesn’t Work for You: Rational Steps to Quitting Alcohol" by Albert Ellis for a case in point on the 'holy grail' of moderation.